Ask Us: What makes the perfect salad?


 
Credits: Ann's mother

Question: What makes the perfect salad?

 

Ann: I’m not a huge fan of salads, but I do like them. The perfect salad is hard, but I know what makes a not good salad in my book! XD Definitely no spinach, no nuts, and no fruit apart from berries. My favorite dressing, though, is Olive Garden’s, so I think I’d have to choose their salad. I also like the Market Salad at Chickfila, but I do wish it didn’t have so many nuts. J

 

Grace: Oooh, such a hard question haha. I think I’d say the perfect salad is fresh and natural. That’s something I’ve learned to appreciate since my family moved; overseas, the salads have very little dressing and instead rely on the delicious taste and crunch of the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers all combined. The ingredients don’t have to be limited to those specific things obviously, but it shouldn’t be smothered with dressing and the ingredients should stick as close as possible to the original freshness God made.

 

Emilie: This is one of the hardest questions that could be asked of us, reader. I know it sounds dramatic, but really, we must take on the seriousness of this subject with attention. Of course, there are dozens of salads. The fancy named salads, served and made of hundreds of ingredients. Names like Southwest, Caesar, Italian, Chef, Greek, etc. All of these are good, but what makes them good? Well, I believe that there should be a few factors in a salad to make it “good” and a few very specific qualifications that level it up to “perfect.” 

One of the perfect factors is a solid crunch. A salad must have textures that work together to make a symphony of taste. Whether it’s some crisp iceberg or romaine lettuce, nuts, croutons, or cracker crumbs, there has to be a crunch in your bite. The next factor is sweetness. There shouldn’t just be savory ingredients with your greens. One should have a bit of sweetness, as well. My go-to’s for this dilemma are raisins, cranberries, blueberries, finely cubed apples, and sliced grapes. Mixing these with ingredients such as feta cheese, savory croutons, avocado, bacon bits, and chicken can really change the dynamic of a salad. 

The selection of greens is important but not as vital as the dynamic toppings, in my opinion. I usually go with a spring mix and some variations of lettuce, though I am partial to sprouts and cilantro mixed in. 

Overall, I love a good salad as much as the next person. A variety of greens, veggies, fruits, and dressings. There’s no wrong way to make a salad, and no right way. As long as it’s yummy, fills you up, and isn’t moldy, then it’s perfect! Whether you make it your own way, or use my input-happy eating!

 

 

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Copyright © Where Brook and River Meet. Designed by OddThemes