Jewels of Worth: Honesty

By Ann Weaver

 
Credits: Ann

This month’s theme is honesty, and I hope the following verses will guide us as we learn to be truthful in all things. It can often be hard, but honesty is always worth it!  

 

“Jesus said to him, ’I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but through me.” (John 14:6)

 

Jesus Himself tells us that He is the truth, and we know that He is the ultimate truth. In serving Him, let us aim to ‘be truth’ as well, in the ways we live and speak.

 

“Only fear the Lord and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you.” (1 Samuel 12:24)

 

We also should seek to serve the lord in truth with all our hearts- not because it’s the “thing to do” or what our parents do. It should be because we truly want to honor and obey Him ourselves, for he is worthy and really has done great things for us!

 

The works of His hands are truth and justice; all His precepts are sure.” (Psalm 111:7)

 

Here we can see that God does all things in truth! May He make us more like Him as we seek to follow His example!

 

“Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who deal faithfully are His delight.” (Proverbs 12:22)

 

If lying is an abomination to God, shouldn’t we try to do the exact opposite? “Lying lips” includes half-truths, white lies, and any other way of deceiving, for they are all the same in the eyes of the Lord.

 

“A false witness will perish, but the man who listens to the truth will speak forever.” (Proverbs 21:28)

 

What a warning to us to both speak and listen to the truth! Let us be on guard against the lies of the world, and be sure to guard our own lips as well.

 

Hymn:

Though the following hymn does directly not mention honesty, the lyrics speak to truth being seen in one’s entire character, which is ultimately how we should all wish to live.

 

I Would Be True: by Howard A. Walter

 

(Verses 1-6)

 

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

 

I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.

 

I would be faithful through each passing moment;
I would be constantly in touch with God;
I would be strong to follow where He leads me;
I would have faith to keep the path Christ trod.

 

Who is so low that I am not his brother?
Who is so high that I’ve no path to him?
Who is so poor I may not feel his hunger?
Who is so rich I may not pity him?

 

Who is so hurt I may not know his heartache?
Who sings for joy my heart may never share?
Who in God’s heav’n has passed beyond my vision?
Who to hell’s depths where I may never fare?

 

May none, then, call on me for understanding,
May none, then, turn to me for help in pain,
And drain alone his bitter cup of sorrow,
Or find he knocks upon my heart in vain.

 

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Copyright © Where Brook and River Meet. Designed by OddThemes