Jewels of Worth: Humility

By Ann Weaver. 

 Credits: Ann.

We have been looking at humility this month, which is a trait the Lord highlights to be very important. He also warns us of the dangers of taking part in the opposing trait of pride, as we will see in the following verses.

 

“The reward of humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, honor, and life.” (Proverbs 22:4)

 

This verse tells us that life – eternal life – is one of the rewards for humility and fearing the Lord. May we always strive to achieve this!

 

“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;” (Philippians 2:3)

 

In our foolish pride it’s easy to think of ourselves much more highly than we should, and this verse shows us that this is wrong. Let’s always think of others as more important than ourselves!

 

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.”  (Proverbs 16:18)

 

Pride is so easy to fall into, over so many things. When we feel unhealthy pride rising up, this verse should help us to remember the consequences of foolish vanity.

 

When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom.” (Proverbs 11:2)

 

Here we see the contrast between pride and humility. The arrogant people will gain dishonor, whereas the humble will receive wisdom. Which do you want to obtain?

 

“A man’s pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor.” (Proverbs 29:23)

 

This is another contrast for us to consider from Proverbs. Don’t we wish to gain the honor of Christ?

 

 

Hymn:

Our hymn today is about humbly surrendering to God, doing his will and giving all of ourselves to him. May this be our creed!

 

 

I Surrender All: By Judson W. Van DeVenter.

 

(Verse 1)

 

All to Jesus I surrender,

All to Him I freely give;

I will ever love and trust Him,

In His presence daily live.

 

Chorus:

 

I surrender all,

I surrender all;

All to Thee, my blessed Savior,

I surrender all.

 

(Verses 2-3)

 

All to Jesus I surrender,

Make me Savior, wholly Thine;

Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,

Truly know that Thou art mine.

 

All to Jesus I surrender,

Lord, I give myself to Thee;

Fill me with Thy love and power,

Let Thy blessing fall on me.

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Copyright © Where Brook and River Meet. Designed by OddThemes